How to get Ordained in Vermont to Officiate

Written and reviewed by the wedding law liaison team at the Universal Life Church.

Welcome to the guide to marriage laws in Vermont. If you're at this page, it's likely that you have either been asked to perform a wedding or are planning to be wed yourself in the very near future - either way, congratulations! Being asked to officiate a wedding is a special honor, but it's also a big job - which is why we've created this page to provide guidance to couples and Universal Life Church ministers alike. In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly on the big day, we recommend you read through the guide provided below. It will explain how to become a wedding minister, how to marry someone, and how to make sure the ceremony is legal in the state of Vermont.

Here are the basic steps one must follow to officiate a wedding:

  1. Getting Ordained in Vermont

    Becoming a marriage officiant with the Universal Life Church is easier than one might think. Our online ordination process is simple, fast, and absolutely free. Legally licensed ministers of the ULC perform countless marriages each year. As soon as you have your minister license in hand, officiating a wedding is right around the corner! Click the button below to get started.

  2. How Do You Perform a Wedding in Vermont

    To begin, you'll first need to contact the City/Town Clerk's office where the wedding will take place. Identify yourself as a minister and ask them what documents they will need you to provide. You may be asked to show a number of items to verify your ordination status and receive the "go ahead" to officiate ceremonies. Be aware that these requirements often vary from place to place, which is why it's best to contact officials beforehand. Any documents or materials you might require are available in the Minister Store here on our site.

    Select a county to see contact information for each office:

  3. Vermont Wedding Officiant Requirements

    Once you've spoken with local marriage officials, simply visit our website, sign in to your account, and order whatever materials you may need via our online catalog. Most ministers in Vermont choose to order our Classic Wedding Set. Additionally, it can give the couple some peace of mind to know that their wedding minister has all of his or her official documents, like their ordination certificate, on hand. Please remember to order any ministerial materials you may need well in advance of the ceremony.

    Also note: while ministers residing in Vermont are usually not required to register, any clergy person from another state needs permission from Vermont probate judge in order to solemnize marriages. To ask permission, contact the probate court of the district where the marriage will take place. Regardless of your residency, the local official in your area may ask you to display your paperwork.

  4. How to Get a Vermont Marriage License

    In Vermont, marriage licenses are issued by the City/Town Clerk's office. Although it is the couple's job to pick up the license itself, the minister should have a solid understanding of the rules governing marriage licenses in Vermont and the individual counties therein. For example, let's say the couple is planning to get a Chittenden County marriage license, for example. As the minister, you might want to double-check if there are any specific rules for getting married in Chittenden County that the couple might not be aware of.

    In Vermont, marriage licenses are valid for 60 days and there is no waiting period between the time it is picked up and when the ceremony can be legally performed. Once the ceremony has been completed, the signed marriage license must be returned within 10 days.

    The Old Lantern Inn Barn

    Vermont's Top Wedding Venue
    The Old Lantern Inn Barn

  5. How Do You Officiate a Wedding?

    Once you've taken care of all the administrative work, it's time to perform the wedding! If you require any assistance in this area, please don't hesitate to utilize the tools found below. These carefully-tailored resources provide helpful tips and information on all aspects of performing a wedding ceremony. Constructed with our wedding officiants in mind, they contain everything you'll need to plan the perfect wedding ceremony.

    Many ULC ministers have used these same resources for guidance when becoming professional officiants!

  6. Signing the Marriage License in Vermont

    Now there's just one final step - but it's an important one! After performing the wedding, you must sign the marriage license. Your official title will be "Minister"; for ceremony type, put "Religious", and for denomination, write "Non-Denominational".

    For the address of ministry, put your personal ministry or home address. Do not put the address of ULC. No license number is required. Lastly, remember that the signed license must be turned in to the marriage office before the deadline passes!

Vermont Marriage Laws

State Flag Of Vermont

Vermont marriage laws are governed by Chapter 105 of Title 18 of the state code. This section explains who is legally authorized to officiate weddings in the State of Vermont. Among those with authorization are ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church. The relevant section is displayed below:

Universal Citation: 18 V.S.A. § 5137.

§ 5137. Issuance of license

(a) A town clerk shall issue a civil marriage license to all applicants who have complied with the provisions of section 5131 of this title and who are otherwise qualified under the laws of the state to apply for a license to marry and to contract for such marriage.

(b) An assistant town clerk may perform the duties of a town clerk under this chapter.

View the Vermont Statutes on the official government state website.

Is it Legal For You to Perform a Vermont Wedding?

Review the Marriage Law

Want to Learn More about Ministry in Vermont?

Explore the VT Ordination

Become a Legal Minister Online

Get Ordained Now