How to get Ordained in Montana to Officiate

Written and reviewed by the wedding law liaison team at the Universal Life Church.

Welcome to the Montana marriage laws guide. Officiating a wedding is an incredible honor, but presiding also comes with a lot of responsibility. This is why we've created this page; to provide guidance to both couples and ministers alike. In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly on the big day, we encourage you to follow the guide below. It will explain how to become a wedding minister, how to marry someone, and how to make sure the ceremony is legal in Montana.

Here are the basic steps one must follow to officiate a wedding:

  1. Getting Ordained in Montana

    Becoming a marriage officiant with the Universal Life Church is easier than one might think. Our online ordination process is straightforward, fast, and entirely free. Legally licensed ministers of the ULC perform numerous marriages each year. Once you have your minister license in hand, officiating a wedding is right around the corner! Click the button below to get started.

  2. How Do You Perform a Wedding in Montana

    First, you'll need to contact the marriage licensing office of the county in which the wedding will take place. Identify yourself as a minister and inquire about the documents the officials will require from you. You may be asked to show a number of items to verify your ordination status. Be aware that these requirements often vary from county to county, which is why it's best to contact officials prior. Any documents or materials you may require are available in the Minister Store here on our site.

    Select a county to see contact information for each office:

  3. Montana Wedding Officiant Requirements

    Once you've spoken with your local county marriage officials, simply visit our website, sign in to your account, and order whatever materials you need via our online catalog. One of our more popular items in Montana is our Classic Wedding Set.

    In general, ministers are not required to register in Montana. However, with that being said, it's not uncommon for the county clerk to ask for proof of your ordination before giving you the "go-ahead" to perform marriage ceremonies. Plus, it gives the couple peace of mind to know that their wedding minister has all the official documents, like your ordination certificate, on hand. Please order your materials well in advance of the ceremony as requested by county officials.

  4. How to Get a Montana Marriage License

    In Montana, marriage licenses are issued by the county clerk's office. Although it is the couple's job to pick up the license, it helps if the minister has a solid understanding of the rules governing marriage licenses in Montana and its individual counties. Let's say the couple is planning to get a Yellowstone County marriage license, for example. As the minister, it is wise to double-check if there are any specific rules for getting married in Yellowstone County which the couple might not be aware.

    Montana marriage licenses are valid for 6 months. Please note that there is no waiting period between the time it is picked up and when the ceremony can be legally performed. Once the ceremony has been completed, the signed marriage license must be returned within 30 days.

    Lazy B Farm

    Montana's Top Wedding Venue
    Lazy B Farm

  5. How Do You Officiate a Wedding?

    Once all the paperwork is in order, you're ready to begin performing weddings! If you need any guidance in this area, don't hesitate to utilize the resources found below. These carefully-tailored tools provide helpful tips and information on all aspects of performing a wedding ceremony. Constructed with our wedding officiants in mind, they contain everything you'll need to plan the perfect ceremony.

    Many ULC ministers have used these same resources for guidance when becoming professional officiants!

  6. Signing the Marriage License in Montana

    Now there's just one last step - but it's an important one! After performing the wedding, you must sign the marriage license. The couple and their witnesses must also sign the marriage license. Your official title will be "Minister"; for ceremony type, put "Religious", and for denomination, write "Non-Denominational".

    For the address of ministry, put your personal ministry or home address. Do not put the address of the Universal Life Church. You do not have a minister license number, nor will a minister license number be required of you. Lastly, remember that the signed license must be returned to the marriage office before the deadline passes!

Montana Marriage Laws

State Flag Of Montana

Montana marriage laws are governed by Chapter 1 of Title 40 of the code of Montana. This section explains who is legally authorized to officiate weddings in the State of Montana. Among those with authorization are ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church. The relevant section is displayed below:

40-1-202. License issuance. Except as provided in 40-1-301, when a marriage application has been completed and signed by both parties to a prospective marriage and at least one party has appeared before the clerk of the district court and paid the marriage license fee of $53, the clerk of the district court shall issue a license to marry and a marriage certificate form upon being furnished:

View the Montana Statutes on the official government state website.

Is it Legal For You to Perform a Montana Wedding?

Review the Marriage Law

Want to Learn More about Ministry in Montana?

Explore the MT Ordination

Become a Legal Minister Online

Get Ordained Now