How to get Ordained in Alaska to Officiate

Written and reviewed by the wedding law liaison team at the Universal Life Church.

Welcome to the Alaska marriage laws guide! While officiating a wedding is a huge honor, presiding also comes with a lot of responsibility. In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly on the big day, we encourage you to follow the guide below. Designed to inform ministers and couples alike, this page will explain how to become a wedding minister, how to marry someone, and how to make sure the ceremony will be legal in Alaska.

Here are the basic steps one must follow to officiate a wedding:

  1. Getting Ordained in Alaska

    Becoming a marriage officiant with the Universal Life Church is easier than you might think. Our online ordination process is straightforward, fast, and entirely free. Legally licensed ministers of the ULC perform countless marriages each year. Once you have your minister license in hand, officiating a wedding is right around the corner! Click the button below to get started.

  2. How Do You Perform a Wedding in Alaska

    The first step will be to contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the county where the wedding will be conducted. Identify yourself as a minister and inquire about what documents officials will need to see from you. You may be asked to show a number of items to verify your ordination status. Be aware, however, that these requirements often vary from county to county (which is why it's best to contact officials beforehand). Any documents or materials you might require are available in the Minister Store here on our site.

    Select a county to see contact information for each office:

  3. Alaska Wedding Officiant Requirements

    Once you've spoken with Alaska marriage officials, simply visit our website, sign in to your account, and order whatever materials you need via our online catalog. Based on feedback from our ministers in Alaska, we recommend picking up Classic Wedding Set

    In general, ministers are not required to register in Alaska. That being said, it's not uncommon for marriage officials to ask for proof of your ordination before giving the "go-ahead" to perform marriage ceremonies. Plus, it gives the couple peace of mind to know that their wedding minister has all the official documents, like your ordination certificate, on hand. As requested by county officials, please order your materials well in advance of the ceremony.

  4. How to Get a Alaska Marriage License

    In the state of Alaska, all marriage licenses are issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics. Although it is the couple's job to pick up the license, a minister should have a solid understanding of the rules pertaining to marriage licenses in Alaska and its individual counties. As an example, let's say the couple is planning to get an Anchorage County marriage license. The minister should double-check if there are any specific rules for getting married in Anchorage County that the wedding couple might not be aware of.

    In Alaska, marriage licenses are valid for 90 days. Please also note that there is a mandatory 3-day waiting period - this means that the couple must wait a minimum of 3 days after receiving the license before a ceremony can legally be performed. Once the ceremony has been completed, the signed marriage license must be returned before it expires.

    Heavenly Lodge

    Alaska's Top Wedding Venue
    Heavenly Lodge

  5. How Do You Officiate a Wedding?

    With all the paperwork in order, you're ready to perform the wedding! If you need any guidance in this area, don't hesitate to utilize the tools found below. These carefully-tailored resources provide helpful tips and information on all aspects of performing a wedding ceremony. Constructed with our wedding officiants in mind, they contain everything you'll need to plan the perfect ceremony.

    Many ULC ministers have used these same resources for guidance when becoming professional officiants!

  6. Signing the Marriage License in Alaska

    There is one last step in the process. After performing the wedding, you must sign the marriage license (along with the couple and their two witnesses). Your legal title will be "Minister"; under ceremony type, put "Religious"; for denomination, write "Non-Denominational".

    If an address for the church is requested, list your personal ministry or home address. Do not put the address of the ULC. Lastly, just remember that the signed license will need to be submitted back to the marriage office before the deadline is over!

Alaska Marriage Laws

State Flag Of Alaska

Alaska marriage laws are governed by Section 1 of the state code. This section explains who is legally authorized to officiate weddings in the State of Alaska. Among those with authorization are ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church. The relevant section is displayed below:

Universal Citation: AK Stat § 25.05.121 (through 26th Leg Sess 2010) The marriage license issued by a licensing officer in this state authorizes the marriage ceremony to be performed anywhere in the state. The license shall be directed "to any person authorized by the laws of this state to solemnize marriage," and shall authorize that person to solemnize marriage between the parties identified by the license within three months of the date of the license.

View the Alaska Statutes on the official government state website.

Is it Legal For You to Perform a Alaska Wedding?

Review the Marriage Law

Want to Learn More about Ministry in Alaska?

Explore the AK Ordination

Become a Legal Minister Online

Get Ordained Now