Universal Life Church

Utah Wedding Laws

Written and reviewed by the wedding law liaison team at the Universal Life Church.

Welcome to the marriage laws guide for the state of Utah. This page was created in hopes of providing both couples and ministers alike with all the information they need to perform a wedding. Being asked to officiate a wedding is an incredible honor, but presiding also comes with a lot of responsibility. In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly on the big day, we encourage you to review the guide below. It will explain how to become a wedding minister, how to marry someone, and how to make sure the ceremony is legal in Utah.

Here are the basic steps one must follow to officiate a wedding:

  1. How Do I Become Ordained to Marry in Utah

    Becoming a marriage officiant with the Universal Life Church is easier than you might think. Our online ordination process is straightforward, fast, and also entirely free. Legally licensed ministers of the ULC perform countless marriages each year. Once you have your minister license in hand, officiating a wedding is right around the corner! Click the button below to get started.

  2. How Do You Perform a Wedding in Utah

    First, you'll need to contact the marriage licensing office of the county in which the wedding will take place. Identify yourself as a minister and inquire about what documents the officials will need to see from you. You may be asked to show several items to verify your ordination status. Please note that these requirements often vary from county to county, which is why it's best to contact officials beforehand. Any documents or materials you might require are available in the Minister Store here on our website.

    Select a county to see contact information for each office:

  3. What Do You Need to Officiate a Wedding in Utah

    Once you've spoken with your county's marriage officials, simply sign in to your account on our website, and order whatever materials you need via our online catalog. Based on feedback from our ministers in Utah, we recommend picking up a Classic Wedding Set.

    In general, ministers are not required to register in the state of Utah. That being said, it's not uncommon for the county clerk to ask for proof of your ordination before permitting you to perform a marriage ceremony. In addition, it gives the couple peace of mind to know that their wedding minister has all the official documents, like your ordination certificate, on hand. To avoid any sticky situations at the end, you should also make sure you order any minister supplies you may like well in advance of the ceremony.

  4. How to Get a Utah Marriage License

    In Utah, marriage licenses are issued by the county clerk's office. Although it is the couple's job to pick up the license, the minister should have a complete understanding of the rules surrounding marriage licenses in Utah and its individual counties. Let's say the couple is planning to get a marriage license in Salt Lake County, for example. As the minister, you should double-check to be sure if there are any specific rules for getting married in Salt Lake County of which the couple might not be aware.

    In Utah, marriage licenses are valid for 30 days and there is no waiting period between the time it is picked up and when the ceremony can be legally performed. Once the ceremony has been completed, the signed marriage license must be returned within 30 days.

    Atrium Weddings

    Utah's Top Wedding Venue
    Atrium Weddings

  5. How Do You Officiate a Wedding?

    Once all the paperwork is in order, you're ready to perform the wedding! If you need any guidance in this area, don't hesitate to utilize the tools found below. These carefully-tailored resources provide helpful tips and information on all aspects of performing a wedding ceremony. Constructed particularly with our wedding officiants in mind, they contain everything you'll need to plan the perfect wedding ceremony.

    Many ULC ministers have used these resources for guidance themselves when becoming professional officiants!

  6. Finalizing the Marriage

    Now, there's just one final, but important, step. After you perform the wedding, you, the newlywed couple, and their witnesses, must all sign the marriage license. Your official title will be "Minister"; for ceremony type, put "Religious", and for denomination, write "Non-Denominational".

    For the address of ministry, put your personal ministry of home address. Do not put the address of ULC's main offices. You will not be required to provide any sort of a minister license number. Lastly, remember that the signed license must be turned in to the marriage office before the deadline passes!

Utah Marriage Laws

Utah marriage laws are governed by Chapter 1 of Title 30 of the code of Utah. This section explains who is legally authorized to officiate weddings in the State of Utah. Among those with authorization are ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church. The relevant section is displayed below:

State Flag Of Utah

30-1-6. Who may solemnize marriages -- Certificate. (1) Marriages may be solemnized by the following persons only: (a) ministers, rabbis, or priests of any religious denomination who are: (i) in regular communion with any religious society; and (ii) 18 years of age or older;


Amended by Chapter 132, 2010 General Session