Universal Life Church

Nevada Wedding Laws

Written and reviewed by the wedding law liaison team at the Universal Life Church.

Being asked to officiate a wedding in Nevada is an incredible honor. It's also a big responsibility, which is why we've created this page to provide a one-stop resource to both couples and ministers. We encourage you to follow the guide below to help insure that all important preparations are made before the wedding. The following guide includes details on how to get ordained as a wedding minister, how to perform a marriage ceremony, and how to make sure the wedding is legal in Nevada.

Here are the basic steps one must follow to officiate a wedding:

  1. How Do I Become Ordained to Marry in Nevada

    The Universal Life Church online ordination process is straightforward, quick, and free. Legally licensed ministers of the ULC perform scores of marriages in Nevada each year. In case you're not yet ordained with us, simply click the big button below to get started.

  2. How Do You Perform a Wedding in Nevada

    Nevada is one of the few places in the country where every single minister is required to register with the county clerk before they are able to perform a wedding ceremony. After you get ordained online, the next step will be for you to order the Nevada Wedding Set which includes everything that you will need to register and perform a wedding in the State of Nevada. When you are placing your order on our site, you will need to specify the county in which the ceremony will take place.

    You will also need to specify if you are planning to perform one single ceremony or (and this option is only available to Nevada State residents) several ceremonies. A single ceremony application will require that you submit the completed paperwork no greater than 90 days prior to the ceremony and no less than 30 days prior. This gives you a 60 day window in which to order the package, fill it out, and submit it for registration with the county clerk. We know it's complicated; you can find additional instructions on the product page linked above for the Nevada Wedding Set.

    If you are looking to become an officiant to perform a ceremony during the Burning Man Festival, then you will need to look for the Playa Wedding Kit on our site to meet the requirements for this purpose.

    Select a county to see contact information for each office:

  3. What Do You Need to Officiate a Wedding in Nevada

    After you get ordained, simply visit our website, sign in to your account, and order the materials you need via our online catalog. Since ministers are always required to register in Nevada, we've created a specific Nevada Wedding Set which includes all the documents you'll need to submit. As requested by county officials, please order your materials in time for your registration to be processed before the ceremony.

  4. How to Get a Nevada Marriage License

    In Nevada, marriage licenses are issued by the county clerk's office. Although it is the couple's job to pick up the license from the Clerk, the minister should study up on the rules governing marriage licenses in Nevada at the county level. If the couple is planning to get a Clark County marriage license, for example, the minister should double-check if there are any rules or regulations specific to Clark County that they need to know about (and boy, are there!).

    In Nevada, marriage licenses are valid for one full year from the date of issue. Nevada does not have a mandatory waiting period and the ceremony can legally be performed immediately. Once the ceremony has been completed, the signed marriage license must be returned by the expiration date.

    Lavender Ridge

    Nevada's Top Wedding Venue
    Lavender Ridge

  5. How Do You Officiate a Wedding?

    Once the minister registration is complete with the clerk's office, you're finally ready to perform the wedding! Congratulations on making it this far. Please feel free to use the carefully-tailored resources below, which contain helpful tips and information on every aspect of performing a wedding. Constructed with our wedding officiants in mind, they have everything you'll need to plan the perfect ceremony.

    Many professional ULC ministers use these resources on a regular basis!

  6. Finalizing the Marriage

    After performing the wedding, you must be sure to sign the marriage license along with the couple and their witnesses. Remember that your official title is "Minister"; the ceremony type is "Religious", and for denomination, write "Non-Denominational".

    For the address of ministry, put your personal ministry or home address. Do not put the address of ULC. No license number will be required. Please remember that the signed license must be turned in to the marriage office before the deadline passes for it to be legally filed!

Nevada Marriage Laws

Nevada's marriage laws are governed by Chapter 22 of Title 11 of the state code. This section explains who is legally authorized to officiate weddings in Nevada. Among those eligible are ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church. The relevant section displayed below:

State Flag Of Nevada

NRS 122.062 Licensed or ordained ministers and chaplains of Armed Forces to obtain certificates from county clerk; temporary replacements; solemnization by minister licensed or ordained in another state.

  1. Any licensed or ordained minister in good standing within his denomination, whose denomination, governing body and church, or any of them, are incorporated or organized or established in this state, may join together as husband and wife persons who present a marriage license obtained from any county clerk of the State, if the minister first obtains a certificate of permission to perform marriages as provided in this section and NRS 122.064 to 122.073, inclusive. The fact that a minister is retired does not disqualify him from obtaining a certificate of permission to perform marriages if, before his retirement, he had active charge of a congregation within this state for a period of at least 3 years.

  2. A temporary replacement for a licensed or ordained minister certified pursuant to this section and NRS 122.064 to 122.073, inclusive, may solemnize marriages pursuant to subsection 1 during such time as he may be authorized to do so by the county clerk in the county in which he is a temporary replacement, for a period not to exceed 90 days. The minister whom he temporarily replaces shall provide him with a written authorization which states the period during which it is effective.