Universal Life Church

Kansas Wedding Laws

Written and reviewed by the wedding law liaison team at the Universal Life Church.

Welcome to the Kansas marriage laws guide. Officiating a wedding is an incredible honor, but one that understandably comes with a great deal of responsibility - which is why we've created this page. In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly on the big day, we invite you to explore the guide below. It will explain how to become a wedding minister, how to marry someone, and how to make sure the ceremony is legal in Kansas.

Here are the basic steps one must follow to officiate a wedding:

  1. How Do I Become Ordained to Marry in Kansas

    Becoming a marriage officiant with the Universal Life Church is simpler than you might expect. Our online ordination process is fast, easy, and completely free. Once you have your minister license in hand, officiating a wedding is right around the corner! Legally licensed ministers of the ULC perform countless marriages in Kansas every year. Just click the button below to get started!

  2. How Do You Perform a Wedding in Kansas

    After becoming ordained, your next step will be to contact the marriage licensing office in the county where the wedding will occur. Identify yourself as a minister and inquire about what documents you'll need to provide. You may be asked to present a number of items verifying your ordination status. Any documents or materials you might require are available in the Minister Store here on our site.

    Select a county to see contact information for each office:

  3. What Do You Need to Officiate a Wedding in Kansas

    Once you've spoken with county marriage officials, simply sign in to your account on our website and order the necessary materials. Based on feedback from our ministers in Kansas, we recommend picking up the Classic Wedding Set.

    Even though Kansas generally doesn't require minister registration, it's not uncommon for county officials to request proof of your ordination before giving the "go-ahead" to perform marriage ceremonies. Plus, couples are more comfortable when a wedding minister has all their official documents, such as the ordination certificate, on hand. As requested by Kansas officials, please order your materials with plenty of time to spare before the ceremony.

  4. How to Get a Kansas Marriage License

    In Kansas, marriage licenses are issued by the District Court Clerk's office. Although it is the couple's job to pick up the license, the minister should have a solid understanding of the rules governing marriage licenses in Kansas and its individual counties. For example, let's say the couple is going to get a Johnson County marriage license. As the minister, you should make them aware of any specific rules that might apply to weddings in Johnson County.

    In Kansas, marriage licenses are valid for 6 months. Note that there is a mandatory 3-day waiting period - meaning the couple has to wait at least 3 days before the ceremony can legally be performed. Finally, the signed marriage license must be returned within 10 days of the wedding.

    Loose Mansion

    Kansas's Top Wedding Venue
    Loose Mansion

  5. How Do You Officiate a Wedding?

    With all the paperwork in order, you'll be ready to perform the wedding! If you need any guidance in this area, don't hesitate to utilize the resources provided below. They contain helpful tips and information on all aspects of performing a wedding ceremony. Constructed with our wedding officiants in mind, these pages will explain everything you'll need to know. Many ULC ministers have used these same resources for guidance when becoming professional officiants!

  6. Finalizing the Marriage

    Now there's just one final step - but it's important! After performing the wedding, you are required to sign the marriage license along with the couple and two witnesses. Your official title will be "Minister"; for ceremony type, put "Religious", and for denomination, write "Non-Denominational". For the address of ministry, put your personal ministry or home address. Do not put the address of ULC. Lastly, remember that the signed license must be returned to the issuing office before the deadline.

Kansas Marriage Laws

Kansas marriage laws are governed by Chapter 23, Article 25, Section 4 of the state code. This section explains who is legally authorized to officiate weddings in the State of Kansas. Among those with authorization are ordained ministers of the Universal Life Church. The relevant section is displayed below:

State Flag Of Kansas

23-2504."Solemnizing marriage; persons authorized to officiate. (a) Marriage may be validly solemnized and contracted in this state, after a license has been issued for the marriage, in the following manner: By the mutual declarations of the two parties to be joined in marriage, made before an authorized officiating person and in the presence of at least two competent witnesses over 18 years of age, other than the officiating person, that they take each other as husband and wife. (b)"The following are authorized to be officiating persons: (1)"Any currently ordained clergyman or religious authority of any religious denomination or society; (2)"any licentiate of a denominational body or an appointee of any bishop serving as the regular clergyman of any church of the denomination to which the licentiate or appointee belongs, if not restrained from so doing by the discipline of that church or denomination; (3)"any judge or justice of a court of record; (4)"any municipal judge of a city of this state; and (5)"any retired judge or justice of a court of record. (c)"The two parties themselves, by mutual declarations that they take each other as husband and wife, in accordance with the customs, rules and regulations of any religious society, denomination or sect to which either of the parties belong, may be married without an authorized officiating person.